Professor David Penington
Professor Penington was a medical undergraduate of the University of Melbourne, but went to Oxford on a scholarship in 1950, graduating there in Medicine. He was a medical- specialist, teacher and researcher in London. He returned to Melbourne in 1968 and was Professor of Medicine at the University of Melbourne (St Vincent’s. Hospital) from 1970 to ’87. He was Dean of the Faculty of Medicine for eight years from 1978 and Vice-Chancellor of the University for eight years from 1988.
Professor Penington was always interested in community issues. He founded the North Richmond Community Health Centre in 1974 and Chaired the National Blood Transfusion Committee for Australian Red Cross (1976-1983). He was Chairman of the NH&MRC Committee on AIDS and the National AIDS Task Force (1983-87). From 1994 to 2001 he was President of Museum Victoria. He chaired the Victorian Premier’s Drug Advisory Council in 1995-96, a Committee on Drugs for Capital City Lord Mayors in 1997-1999 and the Drug Policy Expert Committee of the Victorian Government in 1999-2000.
He was Chairman of the Board of Cochlear Ltd from 1995 to 2002. He has served on the boards of many medical research institutes and chaired the Bio21 Cluster, Neuroscience Victoria and Bionic Vision Australia for some years. The Penington Institute, which seeks to diminish the harm caused by illicit drugs, was named after him in 2014.
David has achieved much and made a magnificent contribution to our community in many areas.
The award was presented by the Deputy Lord Mayor Susan Riley
Mrs. Jeanne Pratt Victorian of the year 2013 presented the Victorian of the Year Shield to Professor Penington.