St Kilda Mums
St Kilda Mums are a volunteer-run not-for-profit organisation based in St Kilda, Melbourne. They rehome new and pre-loved baby goods and nursery equipment to families in need. They believe that by reusing and recycling much-loved babies’ and children’s gear, they not only share the joy of motherhood with each other, but we save the earth’s precious resources too. These donations are distributed to families experiencing hardship in Melbourne and surrounding towns through our partnerships with maternal and child health nurses and local social service agencies.
They collect donations of nursery equipment and recycle cots, prams, bassinets, clothes and other baby essentials and check that they meet current Australian safety standards and Victorian Consumer Law. They receive requests from Maternal Health Nurses and local social service agencies on behalf of families in need. They then try to meet or exceed each request with quality pre-loved donations. St Kilda Mums say “As you might guess, demand always exceeds supply. In fact, we have a long wait list for prams and cots and they are re-homed within days of receipt.” St Kilda Mums prides itself on passing on items in great condition.
St Kilda Mums Mission
St Kilda Mums aim to share the joy of motherhood and save the earth’s precious resources by joining with support agencies throughout Melbourne to meet the material needs of families with young children. We collect, sort and redistribute essential nursery equipment, clothing, books and toys to families in need.
St Kilda Mum’s Guiding Principles
- We will work with and support existing social services and maternal health workers;
- We will not duplicate the work of these existing social services but endeavour to add value to these services;
- We will not profit from the delivery of this service;
- We will ensure that the criteria for recipient eligibility is determined by social service agencies and not by St Kilda Mums;
- We will ensure that all goods donated are of a good quality, in working condition, and adhere to the appropriate Australian safety standards (ie. we would use the goods ourselves);
- We will work with partners and supporters who share our values and goals.
St Kilda Mum’s started in St Kilda but now operates all over Melbourne for the benefit of Melbourne and Victorian families. Recently their works has come to the notice of the media and St Kilda Mums has been written about in the local and national press and also on various radio programs (774). St Kilda Mums is an example of how good people with a good idea and small capital can make a big difference.